Core Values Identified in Heart of the Matter

The Heart of the Matter Document outlines the following core values of character and citizenship education and gives the following descriptions (Appendix C, pg 203):

Respect: I am polite, courteous and caring. I value myself and others. I treat all people with dignity and uphold their rights. I protect property and our environment.

Responsibility: I am responsible for my thoughts, words and actions. I am accountable for my choices. I admit my mistakes and work to correct them. People can depend on me to honour my commitments. I demonstrate active citizenship.

Honesty: I am sincere, truthful and trustworthy.

Integrity: I behave in an ethical and honourable manner even when no one else is around. I am genuine, in that my actions consistently match my words.

Empathy: I respect the feelings of others. I seek to understand what others are thinking to appreciate their perspectives. I listen and consider their views, even though we may not agree. I act with kindness and compassion.

Fairness: I am sensitive to the needs of individuals. I include others and value their uniqueness. I celebrate diversity. I treat people with the dignity and consideration with which I would like to be treated. I gather as much information as possible in order to make a decision that is just.

Initiative: I am eager to do what needs to be done without being prompted by others. I seize opportunities and willingly take the steps necessary towards achieving a goal.

Perseverance: I finish what I start even when it is difficult. I do not give up when faced with challenges or obstacles. I complete all tasks and assignments to the best of my ability.

Courage: I face challenges directly. I speak up for myself and others even when it may be unpopular. I ask for help when necessary. I recognize risks and dangers, and do not take unwise chances to please others.

Optimism: I have a positive attitude. I see challenges as opportunities. I think, speak and act to make the world a better place. I have hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment